Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Shri Sai Satcharitra Chapter 36

Chapter – 36

Wonderful Stories of (1) Two Goa Gentleman (2) Mrs. Aurangabadkar

This chapter relates the wonderful stories of two gentlemen from Goa and of Mrs. Aurangabadkar of Sholapur.

Two Gentlemen

Two gentlemen from Goa came to Shirdi to receive Sai Baba’s darshan. They entered the masjid and prostrated before Baba. Although they both came together, Baba asked only one of them to give Him Rs. 15/ as dakshina, the sum of which was paid willingly. The other man voluntarily offered Rs. 35/, but this sum was rejected by Baba to the astonishment of all. Shama, who was present, asked Baba, “What is this? Both gentlemen came together, but one’s dakshina You have accepted, and the other’s, though voluntarily paid, You have refused? Why this difference?” Baba replied, “Shama, you know nothing. I take nothing from anyone. The Masjidmai (the presiding deity of the masjid) calls for the debt, the donor pays it and becomes free. Have I any home, property, or family to look after? I require nothing. I am ever free. Debt, enmity, and murder have to be atoned for - there is no escape.” Baba then continued in His characteristic way as follows: “At first, this gentleman was poor and took a vow to God that he would pay his first month’s salary if he found employment. He got an appointment at Rs. 15/ per month. Then, he steadily received promotions. His wages increased to Rs. 30/, then Rs. 60/, then 100/, 200/, and ultimately, to Rs. 700/ per month. In his prosperity, he forgot the vow he had taken. The force of his karma has driven him here and I have asked that amount (Rs. 15/) from him as dakshina.”

Baba then told another story. “While wandering by the seaside, I came to a huge mansion and sat on its verandah. The owner gave Me a good reception and fed Me sumptuously. He showed Me a neat, clean place to sleep near a cupboard. I slept there and while I was sound asleep, the man removed a laterite slab, broke the wall, entered in, and scissored off all the money from My pocket. When I woke up, I found that Rs. 30,000/ had been stolen. I was greatly distressed and sat weeping and moaning. The money was in currency notes and I thought that the Brahmin had stolen it. I lost all interest in food and drink and sat for a fortnight on the verandah, bemoaning My loss. After the fortnight was over, a passing fakir saw Me crying and inquired as to the cause of My sorrow. I told him everything. He said, “If you act according to my bidding, you will recover your money. Go to a fakir, (I shall give his whereabouts), and surrender yourself to him. He will get your money back. In the meanwhile, give up your favorite food until you recover your money.” I followed the fakir’s advice and got my money. Then, I left the wada and went to the seashore, where a steamer was docked. I could not go on board, however, as it was crowded. It was then a good natured peon interceded for me, and luckily, I was able to get on the boat. The steamer then brought me to another shore where I caught a train and came to the masjidmai.”

After Baba finished the story, He asked Shama to arrange for the guests to have something to eat, so Shama took them home and fed them dinner. During the meal, Shama said to the guests that Baba’s story was rather mysterious, as He had never gone to the seaside, never had any money (Rs. 30,000/ as described), never traveled, and never lost any money nor recovered it. Shama inquired whether they understood the story and grasped its significance. The guests were deeply moved and were shedding tears. With choking voices they said that Baba was omniscient, infinite, the One (Para Brahma) without a second. They explained that the story Baba told was exactly their story. Baba had described what had already taken place. They thought it was amazing how Baba knew this and said they would provide all the details after the meal. Thus, the guests finished their dinner and, while chewing betel leaves, began to tell their stories. One of them said the following: “My native place is a hill station on the ghats. I went to Goa to earn my living by securing a job and took a vow to God Datta that if I found employment, I would offer Him my first month’s wages. By His grace, I got an appointment of Rs.15/ per month, and with time, continued to get promotions and higher wages, just as Baba had described. I forgot all about my vow. Baba has just reminded me of it in this way and has sought Rs.15/ from me. It is not dakshina as one might think it to be, but rather, a repayment of an old debt and fulfilment of a long forgotten vow.”

Moral

Baba never, in fact, actually begged any money, nor allowed His bhaktas to beg. He regarded money as a danger or bar to spiritual progress and did not allow His bhaktas to fall into its clutches. An incident with Bhagat Mhalasapati illustrates this point. Mhalasapati was very poor and could hardly make both ends meet. Baba never allowed him to make any money, nor gave him anything from the dakshina He collected. Once, a kind and liberal merchant named Hansraj gave a large amount of money to Mhalasapati in Baba’s presence, but Baba did not allow him to accept it.

The tale of the second guest

After the first guest finished explaining how Baba helped him fulfill his forgotten vow by collecting Rs.15/ as dakshina from him, Shama’s second dinner guest began his story. “My Brahmin cook was serving me faithfully for thirty-five years. Unfortunately, he fell into bad ways, his mind changed, and he robbed me of my treasure. By removing a laterite slab from my wall where my cupboard stands, he snuck in while all were asleep and stole all my accumulated wealth (Rs. 30,000/) in currency notes. I do not know how Baba knew to mention that exact amount. Night and day I cried and cried. My inquiries came to naught. I spent two weeks in great anxiety. One day, as I sat on the verandah, sad and dejected, a passing fakir noted my condition and inquired as to its cause. After I related the recent upsetting events to him, he told me about an avalia (saint) named Sai Baba who lives in Shirdi, Kopergaon Taluka. The fakir told me to make a vow to Baba, give up eating my favorite food, and to say to Him, “I have given up eating this food until I take Your darshan.” I then took a vow to give up eating rice and said, “Baba, I will eat rice only after recovering my property and after taking Your darshan.”

Fifteen days passed. The Brahmin cook, of his own accord, came to me, returned my money and apologized, saying, “I went mad and acted rashly. I now place my head on your feet and beg your forgiveness.” Thus, everything ended well. The fakir, who met me and helped me, was not seen again. An intense desire to see Sai Baba, whom the fakir pointed out to me, arose in my mind. I definitely thought that the fakir who came all the way to my house was none other than Sai Baba. He, who saw me and helped me to retrieve my lost money, only wants to lead us on the path of spiritual progress. I was overjoyed when I recovered my stolen property and, being so excited, I forgot all about my vow to receive Sai Baba’s darshan. Then one night when I was in Colaba, I saw Sai Baba in my dream. This reminded me of my promised visit to Shirdi. I went to Goa and from there wanted to leave for Shirdi by taking a steamer to Bombay en route.

When I arrived at the harbor, I found the steamer was crowded and the captain would not allow me to board. Suddenly, a peon, who was a stranger to me, interceded on my behalf and I was permitted to board the steamer, which then brought me to Bombay. From there, I took a train and came to Shirdi. All this happened through the grace of Sai Baba, who is all pervading and all knowing!

The second guest continued, “How great our good fortune that Baba got our money back and drew us here to Himself! You Shirdi folks must be infinitely superior and more fortunate than we! Baba has played, laughed, talked and lived with you for so many years! Your store of merits must be infinite, for they brought Baba to Shirdi. Sai is Datta. It is He who ordered the vow and who gave me a seat in the steamer which brought me here. Thus, I have received proof of Baba’s omniscience and omnipotence.”

Mrs. Aurangabadkar

A lady from Sholapur, the wife of Sakharam Aurangabadkar, had no issue during her twenty-seven years of marriage. Having made a number of vows to Gods and Goddesses for a child and being still unsuccessful, she became almost hopeless. As a last attempt in this matter, she came to Shirdi with her step son Vishwanath and stayed there for two months, serving Baba. Whenever she went to the masjid, she found it full and Baba surrounded by devotees. She wanted to see Baba alone, fall at His feet, open her heart, and pray for an issue, but no suitable opportunity presented itself. Ultimately, she requested Shama to intercede for her when he would be alone with Baba. Shama told her Baba’s darbar was open, but still, he would make the request for her and ask the Lord to bless her. He asked her to sit in the open courtyard at the time of Baba’s meals and to be ready with a cocoanut and some joss sticks, then, when he would beckon her, she should come up.

One day after dinner, while Shama was rubbing Baba’s wet hands with a towel, Baba pinched Shama’s cheek. Shama, feigning anger retorted, “Deva, is it proper for you to pinch me like this? We don’t want such a mischievous God who pinches us so. Are we Your dependents and is this the fruit of our intimacy?” Baba then answered, “Oh Shama, during the seventy-two generations you were with Me, I never pinched you until this moment, and now you resent My touching you.” Shama answered, “We want a God who will ever give us kisses and sweets to eat. Let our worship of Your lotus feet be ever strong and by Your grace strengthen our faith.” Baba then said, “Yes, I have indeed come for that. I have much love and affection for you and will ever bless you.”

Then Baba went up and took His seat. Shama beckoned to the lady. She came up, bowed, and presented the cocoanut and joss sticks. Baba shook the cocoanut, which was dry. The kernel within rolled and made a noise. Baba said, “Shama, this inside is rolling. Do you know what it says?” Shama replied, “This woman prays that a child might be similarly rolling and quickening in her womb. So give her the cocoanut with Your blessing.” Baba, “Will the cocoanut give her any issue? How foolish people are to fancy such things.” Shama, “I know the power of Your word and blessing. Your word will give her a series of children. You are wrangling right now and not giving a real blessing.”

This parley went on for a while. Baba repeatedly ordering the cocoanut to be broken and Shama pleading for the gift of the unbroken fruit to be given to the lady. Finally, Baba yielded saying, “She will have an issue.” “When?”, asked Shama. “In twelve months,” Baba replied. The cocoanut was thereafter broken into two parts, one was eaten by the two, and the other was given to the lady.

Then Shama said to the lady, “Dear madam, you are a witness to these words. If within twelve months you do not get an issue, I will break a cocoanut against this Deva’s head and drive Him out of this masjid. If I fail in this, I will not call myself Madhav. You will soon realize what I say.”

The lady delivered a son in one year’s time and the son was brought to Baba when he was five months old. Both the husband and wife prostrated themselves before Baba and the grateful father (Mr. Aurangabadkar) paid a sum of Rs. 500/ which was spent in constructing a shed for Baba’s horse, Shyamakarna.


Bow to Shri Sai - Peace be to all

6 comments: